Nat's Reviews > This Lullaby

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

F_50x66
May 03, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Lullaby.

Quotes Nat Liked

“Wherever you will go,
I will let you down,
But this lullaby goes on.”

Sarah Dessen
“I am coming to terms with the fact that loving someone requires a leap of faith, and that a soft landing is never guaranteed.”

Sarah Dessen
“No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater...The love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that's the key. It's like a big pie chart, and the love in a relationship has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot.”

Sarah Dessen
“Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.”

Sarah Dessen
“Some things don't last forever, but some things do. Like a good song, or a good book, or a good memory you can take out and unfold in your darkest times, pressing down on the corners and peering in close, hoping you still recognize the person you see there.”

Sarah Dessen
“I knew that there were no guarantees. No way of knowing what came next for me, or him, or anybody. Some things don't last forever, but some things do. Like a good song, or a good book, or a good memory you can take out and unfold in your darkest times, pressing down the corners and peering in close, hoping you still recognize the person you see there.”

Sarah Dessen
“You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.”

Sarah Dessen
“Everything, in the end, comes down to timing. One second, one minute, one hour could make all the difference.”

Sarah Dessen
“He always did the leaving. But not this time. She kept walking, and did not look back.”

Sarah Dessen
“Well, it's true that I have been hurt in my life. Quite a bit. But it's also true that I have loved, and been loved. and that carries a weight of its own. A greater weight, in my opinion. It's like that pie chart we talked about earlier. in the end, I'll look back on my life and see that the greatest piece of it was love. The problems, the divorces, the sadness... those will be there too, but just smaller slivers, tiny pieces.”

Sarah Dessen
“Holding people away from you, and denying yourself love, that doesn't make you strong. if anything, it makes you weaker. Because you're doing it out of fear.”

Sarah Dessen
“I've seen what commitment leads to. Going in is the easy part. It's the ending that sucks!
-Remy”

Sarah Dessen
“She fell, she hurt, she felt. She lived. And for all the tumble of her experiences, she still had hope. Maybe this next time would do the trick. Or maybe not. But unless you stepped into the game, you would never know.”

Sarah Dessen
“I know there were no guaratnees. No way of knowing what came next for me, or him, or anything. Some things dont last forever, but some things do. Like a great song, or a good book, or a good memory you can take out and unfold in your darkest times, pressing down the corners and peering close, hoping you still see the person you see there . . . That was the thing, you just never knew. Right now, though, I wanted not to think forward or backward, but only to lose myself in the words.”

Sarah Dessen
“Because you can never go from going out to being friends, just like that. It's a lie. It's just something that people say they'll do to take the permanence out of a breakup. And someone always takes it to mean more than it does, and then is hurt even more when, inevitably, said ‘friendly' relationship is still a major step down from the previous relationship, and it's like breaking up all over again. But messier.”

Sarah Dessen
“Whenever you made a choice, especially one you'd been resisting, it always affected everything else, some in big ways, like a tremor beneath your feet, others in so tiny a shift you hardly noticed a change at all. But it was happening.”

Sarah Dessen
“So many times it seemed like there were chances to stop things before they started. Or even stop them in midstream. But it was even worse when you knew in that very moment that there was still time to save yourself, and yet you couldn't even budge.”
tags: sad, save

Sarah Dessen
“But holding people away from you, and denying yourself love, that doesn't make you strong. If anything it makes you weaker, because you're doing it out of fear.”

Sarah Dessen
“I am not breaking my rules,' I snapped, hating that I'd ended up on the advice-recieving end of things, jumping from Dear Remy to Confused in Cincinnati all in one summer.”

Sarah Dessen
“Love is an excuse to put up with shit that you shouldn't”

Sarah Dessen
“So what do you wear to dump somebody?" she asked me, twirling a lock of hair around one finger. "Black, for mourning? Or something cheerful and colorful, to distract them from their pain? Or maybe you wear some sort of camouflage, something that will help you disappear quickly in case they don't take it well.”

Sarah Dessen
“Yes, it sucked getting dumped. But wasn't it better to just be brutally honest? To admit that your feeling for someone is never going to be powerful enough to justify taking up any more of their time? I was doing him a favor, really. Freeing him up for a better opportunity. In fact, I was a practically a saint, if you really thought about it. Exactly.”

Sarah Dessen
“I should have told you from the start. I will let you down.”

Sarah Dessen
“I was heading off to my new world. But I was taking a part of my past, and the future, along with me for the ride.”