Keith's Reviews > Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor

Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads by Peter Reinhart

Sep 08, 2008

Read in December, 2008

I've had a lot of success with Reinhart's earlier bread baking book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice. This book is similar, but with an emphasis (as the title suggests) on whole grain breads. It begins with a lengthly explanation of the baking process, including background on Reinhart's innovative techniques for working with whole grain doughs. The recipes seem well organized and easy to follow.

I've only baked one recipe from this book, so far---a "Transitional" Country Hearth Bread. "Transitional" means that it's 50% white flour and 50% whole wheat flour, in contrast to the 100% whole wheat flour loaf that precedes it in the book. It turned out just fine, with a thick, crispy crust and a tasty, soft interior. I'm looking forward to trying other recipes.

In addition to various loafs made with whole wheat, rye, etc, it also includes whole grain variations on many other breads---cinnamon rolls, challah, bagels, foccachia, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads.