Jess (The Cozy Reader) Kennedy's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: net-galley, read-in-2012
Read from May 10 to June 20, 2012

Procurement
eARC from publisher via NetGalley.

My Grade
Plot: 3
Setting: 5
Writing: 4
Originality: 4
Characters: 3
Romance: 3
Overall: 22/30 = 73% Eh, not my favorite
Title/Cover Bonus: 4

Overall
A Western about a cross dressing girl meets a scientist and a white American Indian all set out to uncover why the dead walk.

Most Memorable Scene
When Jett is running away from the one town and meets the other two characters. Kinda couldn’t wait to see how the three of them ended up together.

Plot
Jett is a girl dressed as a man cowboy out looking for her brother. She stumbles into a town and all hell breaks loose. When she flees from that town she runs into two other strange people, Gibbons and White Fox, who were headed for the town she’s just come from. The three of them set off to figure out what the heck is going on.

Setting
The setting was probably my favorite part. I’m a fan of historical fiction but I haven’t read many Western types before. There are lots of saloon and jail scenes.

Writing
The writing was okay in my book. I liked that it jumped around from character to character and didn’t just stay with Jett, although she was my favorite character.

Originality
I’ve read my share of zombie books and historical too. While this isn’t your average zombie book at all it did have it’s own version going on so I commend the authors for that. However, I wish it had just a bit more going on.

Characters
Jett was my kind of girl. I loved her attitude and enjoyed it when it was her turn to narrate.

Gibbons was pretty awesome too. Her scientific background kept things interesting.

White Fox was pretty cool too. I enjoyed his down to Earth outlook and easy going way.

Romance
I didn’t see any romance. I also only got 80% done so who knows if something blossomed after that. I don’t think it would have though.

Title/Cover Bonus
I like both just fine.

Ending
I didn’t end up finishing this before my turn on the tour was up. But I also didn’t have the urge to keep reading either. The book lacked action and continuous flow or something. It failed to hook my attention or give me the need to know feeling.

Series
I don’t think this is a series. Since I also don’t know how it ended I can’t say whether or not if it would make a good series. I don’t think I’d continue reading it anyway.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.

05/13/2012
21.0% "Enjoying it so far. :)"
05/17/2012
51.0% "Not loving this but finding it mildly interesting."
06/06/2012
70.0% "Blog Tour coming June 17th! Must finish this!" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Mallory Heart I just read the blurb! Must get this one-Mercedes plus Rosemary Edgehill?! Whee