Angie's Reviews > Frank: The Voice

Frank by James Kaplan

May 18, 12

Read from May 03 to 18, 2012

All I could think, as I got to the end of this great big doorstop of a book is, "Now I want to know what happened next!" This wonderful biography follows Frank Sinatra from birth up until his winning the Academy Award for From Here to Eternity in 1954. It was a very interesting read for me, a huge Sinatra fan, but I think it would hold interest for even a casual fan. Frank was like that. Provocative, complex, at times not the nicest man in the world. But fascinating.

From his over-bearing abusive mother, to his turbulent relationship with bandleader Tommy Dorsey, his seemly meek first wife Nancy to an affair-turned marriage to screen beauty Ava Gardner, all the stories are here. There are details from both gossip columnists of the time to actual eye-witness accounts. I like how Kaplan also includes excerpts from Ava Gardner's autobiography. He delves a little into his "friendships" with some underworld characters as well as smacking down some persistant rumours about Sinatra that will just not die.

I think my favourite part of the book is how honest it is. The author obviously likes Frank, but he doesn't excuse his behaviour, nor does he paint him as a villain. It just is what it is, and Mr Kaplan doesn't go out of his way to judge or paint a bad picture of anybody (even though there were many to be painted of this particular cast of characters!)

It's a good mix of Sinatra's private life and his work. I really do hope that James Kaplan is planning to write about the second part of Frank Sinatra's life. This book really helped me to understand a little more the man behind The Voice. Very enjoyable.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frank.

05/10/2012 page 390