Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, high-fantasy, historical-fiction, netgalley, assassins, faeries-fey, favorites, signed
Read from May 21 to 25, 2012

Sometimes, a book comes along that just blows you away. Throne of Glass wasn’t that book for me. But not for the reasons you might be thinking. As soon as I read the synopsis for Throne of Glass, I knew I was going to love it. So, no, it didn’t blow me away, but that’s only because I was expecting it to be awesome. And I was not disappointed!

Throne of Glass touts a protagonist with a will of her own, who doesn’t bow to pressure easily and is quite the opposite of mousey, as so many heroines are wont to be. Celaena is my favorite kind of heroine: strong, resilient, and whip-smart. But Celaena is also a bit of an opportunist, and I loved that about her. Celaena’s an assassin; she doesn’t normally do things out of the kindness of her own heart, though there are moments where the reader gets a peek at what type of person she might have been, had she not been drafted as an assassin at an early age. And not only is she a remarkably skilled fighter with an ultimately good heart, she’s also a book lover:
"She'd entered a city made entirely of leather and paper. Celaena put a hand against her heart. Escape routes be damned. "I've never seen--how many volumes are there?"
Chaol shrugged. "The last time anyone bothered to count, it was a million. But that was two hundred years ago. I'd say maybe more than that, especially given the legends that a second library lies deep beneath, in catacombs and tunnels."
"Over a million? A million books?" Her heart leapt and danced, and she cracked a smile. "I'd die before I even got through half of that!"
"You like to read?"
She raised an eyebrow. "Don't you?" Not waiting for an answer, she moved farther into the library, the train of her gown sweeping across the floor. She neared a shelf and looked at the titles. She recognized none of them. – p. 50 of galley

The world of Throne of Glass is at once beautiful and ominous. The author’s brilliant use of imagery to describe the setting left me at home in a world with stunning gowns, filthy mercenaries and an intimidating glass castle. Celaena evaluates her surroundings as one might expect an assassin to, but it’s her reaction to the breath-taking scenery that makes the world come alive.

I enjoyed the third-person narrative, especially since it transitions to Prince Dorian’s perspective at the most opportune moments. The reader even gets a glance at Captain Westfall’s inner-workings, which I very much appreciated. Yes, there is the potential for a love triangle, but Maas handles it in such a way that it never truly feels as if Celaena is caught between the two men, who also happen to be best friends. I adored the way Celaena and Dorian carried on with each other, but it was the quiet and respectful way Chaol and Celaena grew to care for each other that swayed my heart. And while Dorian was very forth-coming with his feelings for Celaena, despite how impossible such a pairing would be, Chaol often denied his feelings, even to himself. Does he do so to spare Dorian’s feelings? Or is it because of who Celaena is that he will not allow himself a dalliance with her? I have to admit I’m rather torn on this one. To choose the obvious passion with Dorian or the hard-won and long-developed love of Chaol?

The contest to find the royal assassin was just as exciting as the romantic aspects of this novel. And it upped the ante to include a murderer among the contestants. Of course, our heroine takes it upon herself to discover the identity of the assailant, but she uncovers far more than just a murderer in her search. I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting the direction the story took at this point, but I’m definitely intrigued to see where the author takes the story from here.

Throne of Glass will probably go down as my favorite debut of 2012, barring any surprise contenders in the next few months. As soon as I finished this book, I wanted to read it again. I guess it’s a good thing there are several prequel stories to be had! This book is a perfect read for lovers of fantasy novels, but I think it has a little something for everyone.

Quotables:
She glared. "I hate women like that. They're so desperate for the attention of men that they'd willingly betray and harm members of their own sex. And we claim men cannot think with their brains! At least men are direct about it." -- p. 68 of galley, when Celaena and Chaol observe Dorian with Lady Kaltain
"Good. I thought so. And what of the others? Any potential rivals? Some of the champions have rather gruesome reputations."
"Everyone else looks pathetic," she lied.
The prince's smile grew. "I bet they won't expect to be trounced by a beautiful lady." -- p. 65 of galley, after Celaena first meets the king and the other contestants

Big thanks to Bloombsury & Netgalley for providing a galley of this title for review!

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I wasn't going to kill him, you buffoon.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Enjoyed that, did you?" Chaol growled.
"Immensely." Celaena patted Chaol's arm as she took it in her own. "Now you must pretend that you like me, or else everything will be ruined.”

05/21/2012
05/23/2012
25.0% "I'm on a fantasy kick right now, but this one must be savored..."
05/23/2012
45.0% "I love that I'm this far in and still unsure which hottie will make it to the love-interest finish line." 1 comment
05/24/2012
67.0% 1 comment

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) Me too! I am really enjoying this.

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) I am loving it! The imagery, the banter, the motley crew of competitors...it's all so awesome! :D I wish I was reading it right now, but I don't think my boss would appreciate walking into my office to find me staring at my Nook instead of working. :P

Jenny Ooooh. I should bump this one up the list.

April Yay!! I'll be reading this one soon!

Hannah I loved it!