Shoshana's Reviews > Tender Morsels

Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

F_50x66
May 03, 12

bookshelves: crossover, fantasy, literary, transcends, ya
Read in April, 2012

This is a heavy one. And not just because of the incest, either. The heaviness runs through: incest, rape, distance from your family, loss, adolescence, assimilation - all of it gutting, often enough to make me step away from the book and read something else for a while, but threaded through with enough hope that I always picked it back up and eventually I finished it.

I'm not sure what all to say about Tender Morsels, except that if you can stomach it, you should read it. The characters are complicated, the story doesn't go where you think it's going even if you've read the flap and even if you know the story it's based on (Snow White and Rose Red - a weird and boring fairy tale if there ever was one, but intriguing enough that Lanagan could really build something around it), and despite all the "issues" it's really just about people trying to forge lives in a difficult, constraining, painful world. The characters love one another and that carries them through, and that sounds sappy but I don't even care.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Morsels.