Kathy's Reviews > Icefall

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby

May 04, 12

bookshelves: read-in-may-2012
Read in May, 2012

I had the ARC for awhile, but I started reading the book because Linda C. told me it had won the Edgar.

At first, I wondered how it could have even been in the running for the Edgar - it's historical fiction!, but as I continued reading, I understood: there is a mystery that needs to be solved.

Solveig, and her younger brother, Harald, and her older (and beautiful) sister Asa have been sent north to a hidden fjord, for safety, while their father wages war with Gunnlaug, a neighbor who wants to marry Asa. They are joined by their father's band of berserkers and his skald just before the fjord freezes, trapping them all for the winter. When the cows are stolen, and people begin dying of poison, Solveig realizes that one of the people she loves and trusts is a traitor.

Both the mystery and its resolution unfold very believably. And Solveig's understanding of her own character and the characters of the people around her alter and change corespondingly as circumstances and actions reveal new facets of the people she thought she knew.

All in all, a very rewarding read. And the most heroic actions are undertaken by the most unexpected people. You'll like this one

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icefall.

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Four stars from you means it must be very good indeed.