Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

May 31, 12

Read from May 03 to 09, 2012

Made our Badass Hidden Gem list..

What an interesting dilemma this book put me in. On one hand, I should be a responsible reviewer and review this book objectively, pointing out the flaws, the inconsistencies, the problems…

SCREW THAT.

This book gripped my heart and swept me up in a whirlwind of emotion. Yes, I’m going cheesy here. I don’t care. It’s my review and it’s going to ooze cheesiness. I cannot help it. You get a cheesy me when I cried for most of a book. You get cheesy me when I go into work late because I had to reapply my makeup. You get cheesy me when I was so moved that I had to STOP thinking about the book at work for fear I’d tear up again. The book moved me. Because it moved me in such a strong manner, it deserves a high rating. I know I’m a crybaby and can cry over any sad scene but this book moved me, it wasn’t just sad scenes. Whether it hit the right spot just for me, or it will have the same effect on other people, I don’t know. I’m just telling you- it moved me.

This book is not your normal story. It’s like a snapshot of a small portion of a Layken’s life. It’s not intended to tell the story of Layken or even go in-depth over any of Layken’s problems. As a reader, you get to peak into a small part of Layken. While it is a small part, it is full of pain, heartache, discovery, laughter, and growth. I loved this. You are literally dropped into the problem, and once the problem is resolved, you are dropped out of it (the end). You wonder, well what now? That feeling of unanswered questions made me realize how quickly I fell into Layken’s life. I craved more. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t satisfied with what I got. It doesn’t mean I didn’t think the little taste of Layken’s life wasn’t amazing, it just means I want more.

Layken and Will and “the brothers” were amazing. The banter, the emotions, the problems, was so heartbreakingly real that I could read page after page of interaction between the four of them. Add in a mother with a very profound secret, a twist that puts a wall up between Layken & Will, some well-developed minor characters, and you then have one new fan of Colleen Hoover- ME!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

05/03/2012
0.0% "I am really rather annoyed with my inability to follow my TBR list. I have no self-control, I just move any book up & down without thought of all the ARC's I have yet to read! Ok, sorry, I'm whining." 17 comments
05/04/2012
18.0% "ok.. way too early for tears. way too early. Really liking this so far."
05/05/2012
28.0% "Wow what a twist and sad but the draw of these two, it's not gonna keep them apart."
05/06/2012
48.0% "I planned on setting this book down while I read Blackout but I find myself wanting to finish this one as well. I guess I'll just do all three!"
05/08/2012
48.0% "I haven't forgotten about this book. I decided to give it my full attention after Blackout. It's worth the wait."
05/08/2012
48.0% "OK... now I can go back to this book (I need Motrin first.. lots of it)."
05/09/2012
73.0% "I have to do my makeup again. I just cried my mascara right off. Im such a crybaby."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover JSYK, I'm a tad bit of a goodreads stalker. ;) Loved reading your status updates and have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for you to finish this. Not sure why. :P I'm about to hop on a flight to NY and am so glad to see you liked it. And definitely take a break before reading POR. Thanks so much! Now I can enjoy my flight a little more. <3

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Colleen wrote: "JSYK, I'm a tad bit of a goodreads stalker. ;) Loved reading your status updates and have been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for you to finish this. Not sure why. :P I'm about to hop on a ..."

I loved the book. I couldn't stop reading it. I can't wait to read the next book.

Wendy Darling Whoa, 5 stars? I hope you review this soon...we can have another fight! Heh.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Whoa, 5 stars? I hope you review this soon...we can have another fight! Heh."

Yes, we do have our vicious cat fights don't we? We'll start the name calling soon enough. Preparing my claws. I did love this book so I'm preparing extra sharp claws. I'll be reviewing soon. :)

Wendy Darling I have my poisoned arrows ready to fly. It could be a battle of Divergent proportions!

Incidentally, I read Insurgent, and I have to admit I liked that one a lot less than the first book. I kept thinking about all the other 5 star reviews as I was reading and thinking, "Darn that Michelle and her logical arguments! She must've gotten to me!"

message 6: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Great review. I love the passion and feeling this book seems to have stirred in you, and maybe I'll add it to my list. Maybe.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Erin wrote: "Great review. I love the passion and feeling this book seems to have stirred in you, and maybe I'll add it to my list. Maybe."

Well..if you do end up reading it, enjoy it!

Jennifer Lane I've heard great things about this book and I'm a fan of any story that evokes great emotion so I look forward to trying this one.

message 9: by Skip (new)

Skip For males too?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Skip wrote: "For males too?"

it depends. It is a great book but it is not a matter of male/female but if you like these types of books.