KV Taylor's Reviews > Fantastic Four: Season One

Fantastic Four by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

May 03, 2012

bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels-and-tpbs
Read in May, 2012

This is my second Season One graphic novel and I thought it was great. I have read, read, and re-read the FF origin story as much as the X-Men one, but the idea here is to keep things intact while updating it--unlike, for example, in the Ultimate universe, where things were changed up. I think the FF in particular benefits from the method. Their 616 origin is a particularly silly one (cosmic rays!) and what follows in S1 is appropriately cracktastic. Because that is, and has always been, what makes the FF awesome.

Aguirre-Sacasa gets that. He handles the story extremely well, and I'll be on the lookout for more. Marquez's art is expressive and at times even pretty. Most importantly, it's imbued with consistent personality and a great sense of storytelling. It's a complete package.

Again, I don't think these books are of much interest to anyone but new comic readers and die-hard fans of certain franchises. For me, totally worth the cash. Bonus points again for Marvel handing out digital versions for your app along with the hardback purchase. I actually read it on my iPad while I was working out and it was glorious. (Except it's hard to bike when laughing.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Four.