Nicki Syler's Reviews > Elemental

Elemental by Brigid Kemmerer

Aug 25, 13

bookshelves: dollar-bin-only
Read on May 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Ok, so I want to start out by saying that I thought the writing in this book was really good. I felt that the author gave me a real glimpse into the lives of the two main characters and that the dialogue was solid.

That said, this was just too short. I felt that the the feelings that Micheal and Emily were a bit rushed. I didn't have a chance to really fall in love with their relationship. I mean I get the whole star crossed lovers thing, I guess I'm just not sure why the story ended so quickly.

As a new writer myself, I can understand writing a short story, giving it away for free and then asking the reader to pay for the second in the series. However I feel that this actually turned me off to the book.

If you are going to give a book away for free, then give me a book. Don't make me think I am getting a book and then it turns out to be a short story. Cause the way this ended made me think "short story". Or at least warn me that it's a novella. I was just getting warmed up to these characters and the abrupt ending sort of made me wonder if it's worth it for me to invest more into the story.

So, while I felt the set up was good and I was willing to go with the story world, overall, the ending killed it for me. I guess I really just don't believe that Emily would just run away that soon with Michael.

Bottom line: Strong writing, very few if any typos, strong start, weak ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elemental.