Coleen Scott's Reviews > Twisted

Twisted by Laura Griffin

May 05, 12

bookshelves: romantic-suspense
Read from May 03 to 05, 2012

This one's more thriller than romantic suspense - it's a tense, tightly-wrapped read that kept me up late reading.

The elevator pitch: Rookie detective Allison Doyle teams up with FBI profiler Mark Wolfe to track down a murderer. The rest of the force thinks the killer is the victim's aggressive ex-boyfriend, but Mark believes this is the work of a serial killer. If Mark is right, they've only got days before he strikes again. Of course Mark is right, Allison will end up in the line of fire, and odds are they'll fall in love.

The best part of this book is that Griffin avoids a lot of the stereotypical scenarios I see in a lot of other thrillers. Allison battles against stereotypes and wrong-headed treatment as a female cop - but it's not so heavy-handed that you're rolling your eyes and calling the Human Rights Commission. She does end up in danger from the baddie - but she doesn't get cast in the "victim" role. The scenarios and obstacles encountered by the good guys feel realistic and believable.

The romance is also realistic. Mark handles things pretty much like any guy would (although most guys don't come back after the one night stand, as well we know). I'd describe the romance as being a lot like the story - a bit gritty and plenty real. It's probably my own personal prejudice that's holding me back in this area - there's a 16-year-age gap between the leads, which is the age gap between me and my ex. I kept wanting to shout "don't do it!" at the book. But I digress.

The bottom line is that I'll be picking up more of this author's work. Definitely recommend if you're into great thrillers with a strong romantic theme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twisted.