Paul's Reviews > Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships

Sex at Dawn by Christopher  Ryan

May 20, 12

Read from May 03 to 20, 2012

Controversial. Probably a number of correct points concerning the real evolution of human sexuality from the hunter gatherer society and the failures of current models of human sexuality to recognize we are more like bonobos than chimpanzees or gibbons. Its main conclusion, however, that marital monogamy is losing proposition, with evolutionary biology and genetic disposition pushing against it may have some merit. But the books solution seems out of touch with the reality of contemporary Western society. Best passage from the book is the story of Pres. Calvin Coolidge. Reportedly the president and his wife visited a chicken farm. At the farm Mrs. Coolidge asked about the farms reported high fertility of the hens. The farmer indicated that it was true, and his roosters would fertilize 10 to 12 eggs every single day. Mrs. Coolidge said to the farmer that he should tell Mr. Coolidge about this fact. The president asked the farmer how many roosters to hens he had. The farmer answered truthfully that he had only a few roosters for many dozens of hens. The president told the farmer he should tell this Mrs. Coolidge. Hmmm.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex at Dawn.