Lori's Reviews > A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in Abu Dhabi, the World's Richest City

A Diamond in the Desert by Jo Tatchell

May 03, 2012

Read from May 03 to 09, 2012

Very interesting look at the history of Abu Dhabi, progress and development, and a peek into the murky enigmatic world of the locals. Writing is smart, clear, and concise and Tatchell presents a balanced view of AD. Part of the interest of the book is recognizing landmarks and familiar situations she writes about. A couple of disturbing stories about bizarre parties and a boating accident, all of which add to the expat feeling of never being able to understand what really goes on here (and maybe not wanting to know the truth). Written in 2009, it’s interesting to read about the status of development and see how much has progressed and changed since then. Also fascinating to hear a local businessman give his take on why AD is focusing on cultural development more than science and technology. Certainly lots of food for thought where the role of women and artistic expression are concerned. Absolutely recommend it for anyone living here. One of those books I want to push on all my friends so we can discuss.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Diamond in the Desert.