Cindy's Reviews > Dirty Little Angels

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

Aug 23, 2015

bookshelves: own, won-in-giveaway, wtf
Read in May, 2012

"He’d said he was against sin, that he’d kick it as long as he had a foot, that he’d fight it as long as he had a fist, that he’d butt it as long as he had a head, that he’d bite it as long as he had a tooth. And when he was old and fistless and footless and toothless, he’d gum it till he went home to Glory." -pg. 14

"I thought about how I’d spent my life waiting for God to save me and my family. Maybe I’d been wrong all along, I thought. Maybe God didn’t save us after all. Maybe we had to save ourselves, and each other, first." -pg. 176

Dirty Little Angels is told from the point-of-view of a 16-year-old named Hailey. Her life seems to be a little more hectic than normal. Her mother is depressed after her recent miscarriage, her father is a drunk that would rather be out playing pool than looking for a job, and her brother is out stealing and doing drugs. Despite all that, though, they are a loving family. Hailey and her brother get mixed up with Moses, a 'religious' man who wants to open a drive-through church and punishes sinners. Things get out of hand one day and their lives take a turn for the worse. In the end they will find out who they can really trust.

This book was interesting. Having grown up in a somewhat similar environment, I found this book to be realistic. These things actually happen, people. It was nothing like I expected it to be and I'm thankful that I received it as a Member Giveaway because I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise. I liked most of the characters, except Meridian. I hate Meridian.
The ending left me a little disappointed, though. I would have liked to know what happened to Hailey and Cyrus after that whole incident at the end.
Overall, I liked this, it was good, quick read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Little Angels.

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Tusa Almost done with my new book. My agent thinks it might be a good idea to get opinons from a few readers. Let me know if you're interested. This one is also dark but mixed with bits of dark comedy. Looking for readers if you're interested. My email is christophertusa@gmail.com