Cindy's Reviews > Dirty Little Angels

Dirty Little Angels by Chris Tusa

May 03, 12

bookshelves: own, won-in-giveaway, wtf
Read in May, 2012

"He’d said he was against sin, that he’d kick it as long as he had a foot, that he’d fight it as long as he had a fist, that he’d butt it as long as he had a head, that he’d bite it as long as he had a tooth. And when he was old and fistless and footless and toothless, he’d gum it till he went home to Glory." -pg. 14

"Everybody talks about how wonderful it is to be a kid. Truth is, it’s tough being young. You kids, you got it worse than us. All the drugs and everything. Kids toting guns to school. My generation had it easy. Compared to what you kids got to deal with." -pg. 48

"I thought about how I’d spent my life waiting for God to save me and my family. Maybe I’d been wrong all along, I thought. Maybe God didn’t save us after all. Maybe we had to save ourselves, and each other, first." -pg. 176

Dirty Little Angels is told from the point-of-view of a 16-year-old named Hailey. Her life seems to be a little more hectic than normal. Her mother is depressed after her recent miscarriage, her father is a drunk that would rather be out playing pool than looking for a job, and her brother is out stealing and doing drugs. Despite all that, though, they are a loving family. Hailey and her brother get mixed up with Moses, a 'religious' man who wants to open a drive-through church and punishes sinners. Things get out of hand one day and their lives take a turn for the worse. In the end they will find out who they can really trust.

I found this book to be very interesting. Having grown up in a similar environment, I found this book to be realistic. These things actually happen, people. It was nothing like I expected it to be and I'm thankful that I recieved it as a Member Giveaway because I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise. I liked most of the characters, except Meridian. I hate Meridian.
The ending left me a little dissapointed, though. I would have liked to know what happened to Hailey and Cyrus after that whole incident at the end.
Overall, this was a very good book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Little Angels.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Tusa Almost done with my new book. My agent thinks it might be a good idea to get opinons from a few readers. Let me know if you're interested. This one is also dark but mixed with bits of dark comedy. Looking for readers if you're interested. My email is christophertusa@gmail.com