Marcela (BookaholicCat)'s Reviews > Full Blooded

Full Blooded by Amanda  Carlson

Sep 11, 12

Read on June 09, 2012

This review is going to be a little different from my usual reviews. First I won’t be doing it alone, my sister Juanita is joining me today, she is going to help me review Full Blooded, but that is not the only thing different, Full Blooded is the first book Juanita have read in this “kind” of genre. Her books usually don’t have supernatural creatures or different worlds in them. I can honestly say that Full Blooded popped her Urban Fantasy Cherry.

Marcela: Welcome and thank you for trusting me and getting out of your comfort zone. I loved Full Blooded so much that I knew if I book was going to get you addicted to “my kind” of books, Full Blooded was going to be the one. For what we’ve talked I can guess you really liked it but I rather hear (read) you say it. Let me know what was your first impression while reading it and we go from there.

Juanita: Thanks for giving me this book, as you know it’s definitely out of my comfort zone and choice of books, but I am very glad I took the chance to read it. It was a very smooth read, to the point that when I was almost finished I had to check to make sure it really was the end, I read it too fast! My first reaction was to search when the next book is coming out! I loved everything in it (except that I have to wait for the next book), I usually have to force my self to finish fantasy books and I don't feel like I want to read anything about it for a while. Not in this case! I even set an alarm for the day the next book, Hot Blooded, comes out.
So if you want to convert someone into this genre Full Blooded will do the trick.

Marcela: I’m very glad to hear that! Now let’s talk about Jessica. I really loved her, in my opinion she is the perfect heroine, she is smart, snaky and brave; I loved how she affronted her situation and instead of hiding she wanted to be in the frontline of the action. I can also imagine how difficult it must had been for her growing up hearing she is an anomaly, with people hating her and wanting her dead just because she is female and despite that she hasn’t let it affect her life much, she has done the best with what life has given her.

Juanita: I really liked Jessica, I loved that she feels so "normal", regardless of being supernatural, and nonetheless a werewolf what makes her very strong, and like many people say "bad ass", and somehow she is still very feminine, I really liked that about her.
It's great to see how the author made her past into something that will help her become someone better and stronger instead of dwelling in the past or becoming someone afraid to live.
I am looking forward to see what she is going to do in the next book, but I don't think we can give all the praise to her alone. She has a great support group that definitely helped her be who she is... And who better than her business partner and best friend, Nicky. There is something about the guy that you have to love; we all like to have that dependable friend. It's cool that he is from a different "species" and they still work great as a team. He is smart, funny and a great complement for Jessica

Marcela: I agree completely, Nicky is the perfect sidekick; he is not only funny and caring but also very loyal. But if we are going to talk about secondary characters we need to talk about Jessica’s brother Tyler and her father Callum. I really loved how they love her and fought for her, putting her wellbeing above everything else. I can’t imagine how difficult must be for them especially for Callum as the Pack Alpha to see your own daughter attacked by his own people.

Juanita: Indeed, the balance he has between being a father and the Pack Alpha is very interesting; he keeps a balance of the packs best interest and Jessica's. I'm really looking forward to learn more about him. Also the relation between Tyler and Jessica is the typical siblings interaction, is very entertaining to see the way they tease each other, but at the same time how much they really care for the other’s well being.
Now that we moved to strong characters, we have to mention James...I really want to hear a lot more about him! He is that bad boy that we all love, strong, smart, hot… I really hope that we get much more about him. Another character that will have you thinking is Danny; he is the typical "player" all the time ready to flirt when the opportunity presents and even if it doesn't he'll make one.
Now to cool the mood a little, what do you think of the villains?

Marcela: Before talking about the villains I need to talk about James, OMFG he is sex on a stick, that guy is not only hot as hell but also a great friend, one you can trust with your life (and your body…), You may think bad boy when you see him but he’s nothing of the sort, he is loyal, smart and commanding, that’s why he’s Callum’s Second in the Pack. About Danny, I loved how funny he was, with only couple of words he was able to light up the mood. I really hope to see more of them in future books.
Now on the villains, I hated the pack guys that went against Jessica; they are a clear example of how bigotry can affect somebody to the point to make them betray their own people. And about the vampires, wow, Mrs. Carlson writes in a way that made them freaky creepy and the best part is that they don’t sparkle! I’m dying to know what is the secret agenda the vampire Queen has in regards to Jessica.

Juanita: Oh, My God, those vampires were creepy in a way that I haven't heard in a long time. There was certainly nothing cool about these ones; they were scary and not fun in any way. I also want to know what is the plan they have with Jessica, why she is so important for them (and other creepy creatures).
In general this is a book that I know I will recommend to all the people I know who like to read, and even if they are not avid readers Full Blooded is a good way to escape reality.
All I can say is that I am really looking forward to Mrs. Carlson next book, Hot Blooded. Full Blooded was such an easy and smooth read that I might become a fan of this genre.

Marcela: I’m really happy to hear (read) that! I agree completely with you; with its solid plot and its fast pace Full Blooded have you glued to its pages from beginning to end, and talking about ends we need to talk a little bit about that other character (Rourke) we haven’t mention to avoid spoilers, let’s just say about him that he’s dreamy and I would love to make him “purr”, just thinking about him made me want to break into Mrs. Carlson house to get a sneak peek at Hot Blooded, I can’t wait to April 23rd, 2013 to get my greedy hands on him, sorry on it.

Juanita: Well since you mention that character that makes you want to "purr", well, I am sure he will be an important part of the next book (I should hope so), Rourke is a full package, strong, powerful, sexy, smart, hot... Oh! My!
Guess all is left is to wait for April.
Once again, thanks for the recommendation! And I'll be looking forward for the next book.

Marcela: Juanita thank you for believing in me and taking the risk to read Full Blooded, I’m very happy you loved it! I knew you would ;)

Ok, people as you can see a no-fan of this genre loved Full Blooded with that you can imagine how good this book is. Mrs. Carlson created a new addictive series, one I recommend to all of you, trust me as Juanita did, I promise you won’t regret it.
My only thing left to say is: “Mercy Thompson and Faythe Sanders should watch out because there’s a new girl in town and Jessica McClain is here to stay”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Blooded.

06/09/2012 page 126