Jami's Reviews > Soldier Dogs

Soldier Dogs by Maria Goodavage

May 30, 12

Read from May 15 to 30, 2012

When I got this I thought, 'oh, know. Better pick up a box of kleenex.' I was pleasantly surprised. Ms Goodavage could have focused on the sad stories, but she didn't. Instead, this is a fascinating and informative look at our military's use of man's (and woman's) best friend in war. From WWI through the current military action in Afghanistan, this book traces all the different ways these four-legged heroes have survived this country. What was more disturbing than the few tales of those who lost their lives was learning that the DOD classifies them as equipment. Really? After all these years, they haven't recognized that these are living, breathing entities that feel pain, bleed, and lift the morale of the servicemen around them. Never fear, there have been many positive changes made. Most importantly is the active adoption program. If you're remotely interested, put you name in the hat now. There's an 18 month wait for these wonderful animals.
I recommend this for any animal lovers out there. It's also a great read for someone who enjoys military history. All in all, a great book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soldier Dogs.