David Sven's Reviews > The Fall of Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

May 07, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in May, 2012

Excellent sequel to the first book. If you stopped at the first book you are missing the pay off after pay off after so many questions and mysteries are raised in the first book. Both books really read as a seamless single story - but this is definitely the better half.

At what point does technology become so advanced it stops being a mere tool of expediency and turns into a prison for the human mind? And what if that technology becomes self aware and independent of its human creators and then decides it doesn't need us anymore?

The fate of humanity hangs in the balance as the symbiosis of human and AI unravels as the Techno Core unleashes its centuries old plan of enslaving and eliminating the human race.

Our pilgrims of the first book literally have to battle time itself in a race to save humanity as they know it from extinction.
We discover in this book the origin and nature of the Shrike, we discover the origin and purpose of the cruciforms, we discover who the Outsters really are and much more. Most satisfying reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Hyperion.