Isis's Reviews > Woman on the Edge of Time

Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy

Jun 27, 12

Hands down one of my all time favorite books - I'm certain some of that has to do with the point in my life during which I read it, however it shall always remain an ultimate favorite. The issues the Ms Piercy so deftly addresses are both the main focus of the story and completely secondary, almost an after thought. . . I never got the feeling of being preached at, yet so many important, and delicate, subjects were addressed throughout this novel. Mental illness, racism, gender equality (or rather inequality), socio-economic injustices - all these and more are deftly covered in this touching story of a woman struggling to make her way in a world where she starts with multiple strikes against her simply by the color of her skin and the fact that she was born female rather than male.

This story switches between a present day world in which we live - with all the messes that actually exist in the "real" world - and a utopian future that is on the brink of destruction (fom the very same dangers that got us to the mess we are currently in). This novel presents some interesting ideas of how we could live, versus how we are living, raising the question of if we are living or simply struggling to continue to exist.

While this book may sound like a very heavy, possibly dry read, it is anything but. Once you pick it up you will be hard pressed to set it down until you have finished it. This is a definite 'not to be missed' read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman on the Edge of Time.