Laura's Reviews > The Summer My Life Began

The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland

May 03, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 02 to 03, 2012

This is like marshmellow fluff in book form. It's light, fluffy and tooth-achingly sweet. I love me some marshmellow fluff, and I really enjoyed this book.

The Summer My Life Began is the perfect summer read. Honestly, I wish that I had been pool side, or even better, sitting on the beach, while I read this book. It was the perfect blend of sweet, fun and heart-aching life experiences.

Shannon Greenland has brought us a story with characters who, while starting out somewhat stiff, soften and grow over the course of the book. Elizabeth Margaret (What a mouthful! And I'm used to double names being from the South!) is our main character. Lucky for us, we and the rest of her "island family" calls her Em. She's just what her parents always wanted her to be, and she feels somewhat empty inside. Enter her Aunt Tilly.

Tilly invites Em down to the Outer Banks to spend part of her summer relaxing at her B&B. Aunt Tilly was probably my favorite character. Here's a woman who has worked for everything she's gotten, yet still takes the time to dance along the beach, shop for fun clothes and just sit down and talk with those she loves. She came across as a wonderful, somewhat quirky lady who I immediately wanted to be friends with.

There are some other great characters, including Frederick, Gwenny, Domino, and of course, Cade. Cade's the love interest in the book. I loved the interaction between the two of them. It was very slow, and very cute. Cade is the guy that you want to meet on your summer vacay, and then be able to take home.

I started out thinking that the plot of the book just dealt with Em in the Outer Banks. I was happy to discover that there was so much more going on. Em's love of cooking was a lot of fun to read, and actually made me want to get in the kitchen and whip up a few things. As for the big mystery, I won't reveal it, but I must say, I didn't see it coming.

Looking for a beach read? I would totally check out The Summer My Life Began.

I received an e-galley courtesy of Penguin Publishing and NetGalley. This in no way impacted my review of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer My Life Began.

05/03/2012 page 98