Mmars's Reviews > The Executioner's Song

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer

May 03, 12

Unlike In Cold Blood, I knew about Gary Gilmore before I read this. Perhaps that is why this seemed more chilling. Or perhaps Miller did a better job of getting inside the head of the whacko. On the other hand, I give Capote a literary edge. Also because Cold Blood came first, Mailer's effort is less original and for this reader, a pander to the mass market audience.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Executioner's Song.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I 'loved' Capote's 'cold blood'....so chilling.

Have you seen 'infamous' and 'capote'? Loved both those movies.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol For anyone who found The Executioner's Song compelling, Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore, Gary's brother, seems a natural. I read Shot in the Heart first. This non-fiction true crime accounting by Mikal is a heart-rending study of a dysfunctional family and one of the best of the genre I've ever read. I then went back and read The Executioner's Song, also an excellent portrait of the road that led Gilmore who began his criminal life by committing petty crimes to eventually advancing to murder and ending with his death by firing squad.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Carol wrote: "For anyone who found The Executioner's Song compelling, Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore, Gary's brother, seems a natural. I read Shot in the Heart first. This non-fiction true crime accounting b..."

Carol I'd forgotten about Mikal's book.....soooo chilling. Another one I found interesting was 'a father's story' by Lionel Dahmer, Jeffrey Dahmer's father. The book was good but it didn't feel honest. Lionel premise was that he had no indication his son was so troubled and couldn't find anything in his childhood that could have contributed to his becoming a cannibal and serial killer. HUH? Mikal at least took a hard look at their family. Another recent true crime book I thought was excellent though incredibly frustrating was 'bringing adam home' about Adam Walsh's murder.

If you can believe it i haven't read 'executioner' yet.....probably because I've tried to read several of Mailer's books and couldn't finish them.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I'm sure you guys have already read them but two of my 'favorite' true crime books were Rule's 'the stranger beside me' and 'hillside stranger'. Both of them had me up all night and compulsively checking to make sure my doors and windows were locked and I mean that literally. Buono's garage was literally 3 blocks from the apartment I lived in a few years after they'd been caught.....way too close to home.

Mmars Cynthia wrote: "I'm sure you guys have already read them but two of my 'favorite' true crime books were Rule's 'the stranger beside me' and 'hillside stranger'. Both of them had me up all night and compulsively c..."

Hi ladies. Missed this conversation. Actually, I remember that Mikal Gilmore had also written a book, but I never read it. I actually read very little true crime - more when I was younger. I have seen "Capote" - Hoffman was soooo good!

I think this is the only Mailer I read, so I can't tell you how it compares.