Dee's Reviews > The Last Stormlord

The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke

Nov 10, 12

bookshelves: a-kind-of-magic, loanage, world-fantasy
Read from November 02 to 10, 2012

I really liked and was impressed by Glenda Larke's first fantasy trilogy (that starts with The Aware) but since then, have not been blown away by her work. This book was competent, engaging, well-plotted and well-paced, but I think my issue stems from not really getting thoroughly invested in any of the characters. They were all very interesting, very real, very believable, but the one I was particularly interested in wasn't given a huge amount of screentime, and the ones who were I was less taken with. (Now I'm unsure whether The Aware just benefited from a congruence of my interest and the book's focus on Blaze, but I feel that Blaze was more fully developed, more elegantly realised on the page, given more time and space. Whereas this book piled on the characters and events.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Stormlord.

11/03/2012 page 28
4.0% "There's nothing quite like massive Australian fantasy for knowing you're going to have a long and competent read. Reassuring."
11/04/2012 page 174
27.0% "Very interesting elements in this, particularly worldbuilding. Larke does do that very well, always."
11/06/2012 page 387
61.0% "Every time I get a sinking feeling about the direction of a storyline, it goes differently. Yay."
show 1 hidden update…