Andrea's Reviews > Streamline

Streamline by Jennifer Lane

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-young-adult
Read from May 04 to 05, 2012

This review is so hard for me to write. To be honest, and this is a little embarrassing, I'm tearing up just thinking about it STREAMLINE. It has been enlightening and thought-provoking, to say the very least. So I'm not going to recap the synopsis. I'm not going to dissect the characters. I just want to touch on the impact of STREAMLINE.

The issues that are touched upon in the story: family, substance abuse, teen relationships, trust, honor...they were all dealt with in an amazingly realistic, unglossed manner. The thread of the story that impacted me most was that of domestic abuse. As the child of a child of abuse, my heart literally aches. The author's detail is unflinching. Not only does the story put abuse in the spotlight, but it also delves into the reasons the victim feels shame, responsiblity and sometimes can't walk away. I personally appreciate that that angle of abuse, the victim's, was delved into. Many times, when a situation becomes to painful, we look away. I couldn't look away and I appreciate that this story gave me so many insights into the mindset of the victim.

STREAMLINE is also a love story. A beautiful, sweet, and touching love story. Leo and his girlfriend, Audrey, are the kind of couple that I love to read about. They are a true match, a team. Their relationship is basically healthy, honest, and doesn't revolve around drama. They are quick to apologize and to forgive. Audrey and Leo are a couple that I'll hold close and won't soon forget.

Ultimately, STREAMLINE is a story of love and triumph. It's a story that could have tremendous impact on anyone, but especially a teen in a precarious situation. I would love to see available to every teen.To give those who are troubled hope and encouragement, to give those who encounter the troubled, empathy and understanding. I intend to recommend it to as many people as possible.

Favorite Quote:

"The bleeding was swift and sharp. It left Leo dazed on the floor, bleeding from the lip and moaning. His head pounded with each beat of his heart. As he watched his father stalk away in disgust, Leo realized the irony of his dad teaching him not to be violent by beating the crap out of him."
(ebook, 7%)

"Unencumbered by sopping clothing and unburdened of family worries, Leo felt what Audrey had tried to describe: liberated and uninhibited." (ebook, 59%)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Streamline.

05/04/2012 page 1
05/04/2012
25.0% "Tough subject matter. This is so sad."
05/04/2012
50.0% "So intense. I can't put it down."
05/05/2012
75.0% "I can't stop reading. I must know how it ends."

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane I loved this review, Andrea. :)

Andrea Thank you!