Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son

Some Assembly Required by Anne Lamott

May 02, 12

bookshelves: midlife
Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

I love Anne Lamott's writing, and she's almost exactly my age, so it was interesting to see how she's navigating the grandmotherly waters.

She's so self-effacing and flat-out hilarious, but to be honest, this wasn't my fave Lamott book. She's kind of meddlesome! Okay, this is her first grandbaby of her only child, and the kids are really young. Way too young to be parents. It would be hard to find the middle ground between trying to support them and stay the heck out of their biz. Rough balancing act. But I sense heartache on the horizon.

I wasn't sure why she included the trip to India. It's almost out of context from the rest of the book.

But you can't read Lamott without gaining some wisdom about human nature. Here's a gem: the idea of "tending to one's own emotional acre."

Here's another: As a grandma I'm constantly going back and forth between feeling like I'm growing an umbilical cord to my son's family (the babies, not him), and then guilty for running off and living my awesome carefree grownup life. Anne dealt with that dichotomy too. She writes, "I had no choice but to (live my life). It's always the same old problem: how to find ourSELVES in the great yammering of ego and tragedy and discomfort and obsession with everyone else's destinies."

Amen, sistah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Assembly Required.