Tara Calaby's Reviews > Radiance

Radiance by Alyson Noel

May 06, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, mg-fiction, angels, death
Read from May 03 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

My first Alyson Nöel book didn't quite work for me, due to a combination of subject matter and writing style. I received a review copy of the fourth Riley Bloom book, however, and was happy to give Nöel another go, as the Riley books have always sounded much more my kind of universe. So I wasn't completely lost with Whisper, however, I decided to start at the beginning, with Radiance.

I assumed correctly. Radiance is definitely more my sort of thing. The series actually reminds me quite a lot of the Angels Unlimited series (Annie Dalton), although there's enough that's different about the Riley Bloom books for me not to feel like I was revisiting old territory. In this first book, Radiance, there's quite a lot of setting up that needs to occur, which means that the first third or so is a little slow-moving. Once Riley starts actually moving towards becoming a Soul Catcher, however, the book really picks up.

Nöel's regular use of sentence fragments, my biggest issue with Fated, is not nearly as obvious in Radiance. They're still used more than you would usually find in a published novel, but here it is much more unobtrusive. I would occasionally notice them, but they generally didn't pull me out of the book.

I enjoyed Riley as a protagonist. She really felt like a twelve-year-old to me. She's a bit annoying at times, but that's just who she is and the age she is, and with the series being a lot about her character's personal growth, you need an imperfect starting point so that you can move forward. I wasn't quite as sure about Bodhi in this book, largely because I was finding him about as annoying as Riley was, but I think that's just a sign of Riley's voice being so strong.

Overall, Radiance worked for me a lot more than my previous Alyson Nöel experience and made me look forward to reading my next Riley Bloom book.

You can find more of my reviews at taracalaby.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radiance.

05/02/2012 page 10
5.0% "I received a copy of the latest book in the series from Pan Macmillan, so thought I should read the first one first!"