Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

Controversial picture of Lord & Lady Duff-Gordon, her secretary, and the other members of Lifeboat 1.

★★★☆☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Sorry, this one was just okay for me. Susan Duerden does a nice job, but not outstanding. Her best sessions were when she was narrating the Titanic aftermath hearing. I didn’t think she did the right accent for Tess, the heroine. I’ve heard her reading before and liked her; nonetheless, this time didn't wow me. Of course, it didn’t help that I wasn’t crazy over the book.

I was really looking forward to this novel, even knowing that there wasn’t much time spent on the Titanic. Nevertheless, I was too frustrated in wanting to know what actually happened a hundred years ago this Spring. It made me want to get a hold of the courtroom transcripts myself. But, oh, wait! Lady Duff-Gordon never testified at the American investigative hearings; she only did so in England. See, things like that got to me.

What happens when you have as your main character a make-believe-maid/want-to-be-seamstress who wasn’t in the “money” lifeboat instead of the actual secretary who was; add a spunky female reporter who may or may not be her friend; throw in a love-triangle that doesn’t end the way I wanted (though, I’d lost interest in the romance long before the Big Reveal)...and what do you have? **shrugs** An average book? However, I had fun sifting fact from fiction looking things up on the Internet.

*I'd like to thank Laura, one of my “co-buddy readers,” for posting the infamous “Money Boat” picture above.

"Leaving the sinking liner," by Charles Dixon for the The Graphic on 27 April 1912. (Now public domain.)
description
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker.

message 1: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Great review Lisa Kay and loved these pictures! I'm intrigued by the Titanic and stories of survivors:)

Lisa Kay Thanks, KatLynne! Yes, me too. Such a tragedy. I've heard that The Watch That Ends the Night  Voices from the Titanic by Allan Wolf is excellent. It won an "Audie" award... so, if it isn't too sad, I my try that one.

message 3: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne If you do decide to read, I'll be watching to see what you think. Don't think I can take "too sad" right now:)

Lisa Kay Yeah, me either, KatLynne.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Great review and picture, Lisa Kay. I'm glad I past on this book as the general consensus is around 3-stars from friends.

Lisa Kay Really? Interesting. I was sure I would love. **sigh**