D.C.'s Reviews > A Gentleman Undone

A Gentleman Undone by Cecilia Grant

May 24, 12

Read from May 02 to 24, 2012

About the book: A seductive beauty turns the tables on a gentleman gaming for the guiltiest of pleasures in this rich and sensual Regency romance from beloved newcomer Cecilia Grant.

Lydia Slaughter understands the games men play—both in and out of the bedroom. Not afraid to bend the rules to suit her needs, she fleeces Will Blackshear outright. The Waterloo hero had his own daring agenda for the gaming tables of London's gentlemen's clubs. But now he antes up for a wager of wits and desire with Lydia, the streetwise temptress who keeps him at arm's length.

A kept woman in desperate straits, Lydia has a sharp mind with a head for numbers. She gambles on the sly, hoping to win enough to claim her independence. An alliance with Will at the tables may be a winning proposition for them both. But the arrangement involves dicey odds with rising stakes, sweetened with unspoken promise of fleshly delights. And any sleight of hand could find their hearts betting on something neither can afford to risk: love.

Review: A historical with an intriguing twist. While I’m not normally a fan of historical, Ms. Grant managed to pull me into her world and get caught up in the whirlwind romance between Lydia and Will.

Will was ever the gentleman throughout the book until he reached the point of no return. He humbles the readers by providing a different insight into just what happens when you care for someone and that someone tries like hell to fight just how they feel for you in return. These two are such a piece made to fit and you see it from the very beginning. The romance was on par between these two and even then there was suspense in uncovering just what would happen between the two of them and a mystery of resolve.

Ms. Grant drew me in until I was caught up, tied into just what the characters were doing next. I would definitely recommend this read to anyone looking for a change in the industry and a bit of freshness to go along. It is unlike any other romance I’ve seen out there but written just as well. Four out of five stars for this sweet, scorching read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gentleman Undone.