Little Paper Rose Reviews's Reviews > Sweet Evil

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, kick-ass
Read in May, 2012

Oh my goodness. If possible, I would've put my life on a giant hold for 'Sweet Evil.'

Excellent, highly enjoyable read.

I was dead-on sold from page one. It was something about the easiness in Higgins writing - everything sailed on tremendously smooth and natural. I was seized by an instant reaction of interest and intrigue.

It was so smooth-sailing (can't stress it enough.) I had no reluctance towards the storyline, plot, or characters whatsoever. I was captivated and immersed in all of. All of it. This was actually the kind of book I wanted to read slowly, consciously saving chapters to "read later." The kind of book you're dreading the page number of; I didn't want it to end.

A round of applause for the freshness of this angel storyline - it was utterly ingenious, uncluttered, and well executed. No unnecessary fuss or historical background that will zone you out, but enough to fill you in and have you believe it. Everything came to place so smoothly. Here I go again with all the smoothness.

Every character - protagonist as well as secondary, were simply superb. I don't think I've ever cared for this many characters at once before. Anna, Jay, Patti, Kaiden, Belial..
Anna wasn't a challenge to connect with, she was kind, genuine, and determined. Very likable. Although she was in great success presented as Miss Goody-Goody, that is gradually and naturally interfered with.

Jay is the close guy friend you never had, seriously! And, well, Patti is the adoptive mother you never had - she had such a beautiful persona. I feel so much love and warmth for these two.
I found Patti's reactions and emotions towards Anna and her newfound knowledge of who she is to be realistic without being over- or underwhelming. It was clear how loving and protective she was of Anna, simultaneously having reasons for trusting Anna with her own independence and responsibility.

I was all giddy during unlikely phases of the book. It was Kaiden, it was all Kaiden. Though he was to portray bad, untrustworthy, offending - he was just so.. so.. basically he had this intense, alluring quality about him. He's the guy you should stay away from but have hopelessly fallen for.

Describing him as a bad boy doesn't sound right. He is what he was born into, he's not capable of anything else (er, yet). Behind the lustful lure of his persona, I saw that he was honest and protective of Anna. These two need tension, uncertainty, as much as the back-and-forth.

Something struck me about the ending, especially the scene of Anna and the postcard. My heart wept. It was such a tranquil, beautiful, moving ending. I loved it.

'Sweet Evil' was awesomeness - easy to follow, so easy to enjoy. It set the perfect pace for what will hopefully be a trilogy and I'm ridiculously excited for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Evil.