Paige Henley's Reviews > Crossing the Mangrove

Crossing the Mangrove by Maryse Condé

F_50x66
May 02, 12

Maryse Conde’s Crossing the Mangrove, is a mystery told from the different perspectives of the citizens who live in Guadeloupe. Similar in today’s modern society, the inhabitants of Guadeloupe viewed economic and societal statues by family history and gender, and the reoccurring issue of skin color. This topic is interesting to me, because I thought it was interesting how often the issue of skin color was mentioned among a group of people that were the same race. Mainly the female characters concerned themselves with the issue of skin color, which could allow readers to assume that Conde herself was self-conscious about her own skin complexion. As astonished as I was reading these women’s chapters, I made several connections to today’s generation of women who believe the same thing. Also, I wondered if Conde’s story is similar. Conde provides her audience with an incredible storyline that keeps readers captivated throughout the entire story. The story begins with the death of the novel’s protagonist, Francis Sancher, who had the entire island inquisitive since his arrival. Throughout reading this book, Conde kept her readers in suspense with the murder of Francis Sancher. This story was filled with romance, betrayal, and mystery. I enjoyed reading the different perspectives of each character on Francis Sancher. I admired the style that Conde chose to structure her novel; I felt it was easier to dissect the true killer of Sancher. Overall, I would recommend this book to an older crowd, because of the language and some of the content. I strongly believe that other readers would be to enjoy the interesting storyline that Conde delivered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing the Mangrove.