Magdalena's Reviews > Moonlight

Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne

May 03, 12

bookshelves: shifter
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** For a younger audience! (*SPOILERS*)
I'm normally quite generous when it comes to ratings, Feel bad about only giving this book 3 stars. It's probably more of a reflection of my taste than anything else.
I think this would suit a younger audience such as young teens rather than older ones. It is well written, and the story is based on some good foundations, has a good buildup to the suspense and quite imaginative but it's all a bit "to easy". Let me explain...
You just don't get the feeling for the love between KAyla and Lucas. attraction, yes but.... There are some really nicely portrayed scenes where you get the feeling that they like each other but just isn't committing, but it all goes a bit quick after that. Ok, I love Twilight and there is this inexplicable attraction between them, but it does actually build up over time (weeks/months). Is the love in Twilight perfect? No. Is there some doubt there as well? Yes. But Meyers is able to still make you feel that inexplicable attraction and undying love which unfortunately the author of this book hasn't been able to do although it appears she aimed for it to be the same.
Other things...she goes from knowing "nothing" about the Werewolf world into signing up to be a Guardian a day after she "became" a wolf herself. It just doesn't fit. It would work if the author had explained it as she had a special heritage that made her suitable, but is just doesn't make sense that she would be one of the wolfs responsible for the preservation of a species this early in the series. I think the author had a good idea on how to get Kayla and Lucas into new adventures in the next book but somehow it feels a bit rushed. In Chicagoland vampires series the main character is thrown into a "guardian" type position with minimal experience but the author has been able to explain it better with the main character being stronger than your average vampire and also the fact that her position is more "for show" rather than actually being a "true guarding". The fact that she gets thrown into adventure despite her position only being "for show" is what makes the series interesting later on, but there is always a good explanation for it which make you buy the story.
Don't know how to explain it really....like I said, it's not a bad book at all. I'm sure I would have LOVED it when I was younger (13-15) but it lacks the depth for someone past 18-20 years old.
But why don't all of you read it instead and make up your own minds...these are just my thoughts and you may love it :)
And I do encourage the author to keep writing! The book is still good and you have achieved something many of us could only dream of doing!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight.