Nenia *Genghis Khan soaked in sherbet*'s Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

2190064
Mar 06, 14

Read on May 02, 2012

a coming-of-age fantasy story that takes place in a medieval setting with a baddie who ought to be singing that old disney song "be prepared" in a sinister british accent. it should, by all rights, be cliche - but it isn't. because the characters in this plot are freaking awesome.

kids in this kingdom are being "sorted" into their future vocations. but when wee will doesn't get his dream job as a knight in shining armor because he's - *gasp* - too short, his heart is broken. in fact, nobody seems to want to take him at all... except for the sinister ranger, who may or may not be a warlock capable of spiriting himself away into other realms. eek!

the writing style reminds me very much of tamora pierce. there's that same emphasis on honor, friendship, forgiveness, and inner-strength. will's mentor, halt, literally made me laugh out loud with his deadpan sense of humor and dry observations. it's been a while since a young adult novel made me laugh quite this much - and i suspect it's because of the easy delivery this author has: his humor doesn't seem forced. it goes along with the characters and makes them sparkle.

i'd heard a lot of great things about this book, but i've lost my faith in the popular vote as of late (fifty shades of grey is a best-seller now? really people?). this is one case where it did not disappoint. i definitely want to get my hands on the next couple books in the series!

definitely recommended for teenage boys, fans of tamora pierce, or adults (like moi) who harbor a long-lasting affection for ya books.

four swashbuckling stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.

The Holy Terror I just finished this last night and loved it. I was super surprised at how awesome it was. Great review!

Nenia *Genghis Khan soaked in sherbet* i know, right? i was expecting something like inkheart and got harry potter all over again. ♥

and thanks!

Marla This is one of my all time favorite series, I enjoyed your review. I think most of the books in this series are equally good or better. I love the characters, the writing and the emphasis on values like courage, loyalty, friendship and doing the right thing.

Nenia *Genghis Khan soaked in sherbet* i'm so glad to hear that the series remains consistently good! it's so hard to find good ya fantasy nowadays.

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo I agree with every thing you said!:)