Katherine's Reviews > What Dreams May Come

What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson

Sep 09, 08

What was most fascinating to me was how well researched (though it's fiction) the book was. People who are familiar with "new age" and scientific discoveries on research into the afterlife from different perspectives won't fail to recognize many influences into this story. In addition, Matheson adds a bibliography of all the books he read before writing this work.

What most find memorable and touching about the story, which is the story of the way people who love each other strongly cope with life after death, what I found more clever was the way that Matheson wove so many theories on the afterlife together to paint a harmonious picture of what life after death could be for one person as he adjusts to what has become of his spirit after his death.

While this book should appeal very much to the romantic at heart, I also see the appeal to anyone interested in a fiction based on a depth of research into the afterlife phenomenon and also it should appeal to anyone who has questioned what the possibilities are in the afterlife. Matheson did well to cover just about every notion that has been presented in written works up until the publication of this novel.

Also, for lovers of this movie, this book should not disappoint as I found it even more beautiful and vivid and more conclusive. The movie made some changes that enhanced the story, though I think that Matheson's original telling of it had some elements (such as the power of prayer) that would have made the movie better if it had also been included in the movie. While there were many differences between the book and the movie, I do believe that anyone who appreciated the movie would appreciate the book equally, if not more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Dreams May Come.