Jan Drexler's Reviews > The Scent of Cherry Blossoms

The Scent of Cherry Blossoms by Cindy Woodsmall

May 21, 12

Read from May 02 to 21, 2012

In her newest novella, The Scent of Cherry Blossoms, Cindy Woodsmall treats the reader to a glimpse into differences between two communities – the Old Order Amish and the Old Order Mennonites. But these two communities only seem identical to the outsiders. Cindy Woodsmall dares to plumb the depths of the differences between these theological “cousins” that date back to the 17th century.

Annie Martin is an Old Order Mennonite girl who loves her heritage and her grandfather. To escape a difficult situation at home, Annie goes to live with him in Apple Ridge, Pennsylvania just as spring begins to show its face. While there, she becomes reacquainted with a childhood friend, Aden Zook. But Aden is Old Order Amish, and as their friendship grows into love, their families forbid the relationship, revealing just how deeply the boundaries between the two sects run.

Even though novellas are traditionally shorter and less complex than a novel, Cindy Woodsmall has also given the reader fully developed secondary characters, including a look at Aden’s twin brother, Roman, as he tries to regain his identity after being confined to a wheel chair due to a farming accident. Roman’s journey and his steps toward love with an outgoing, vivacious Amish girl are a delightful background to Annie and Aden’s story.

I have enjoyed all of Cindy Woodsmall’s books that I’ve read, and this one is no exception. In the growing sub-genre of Amish fiction, Cindy gives the reader a sweet, authentic story every time.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher for my unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Cherry Blossoms.