Mirjam's Reviews > Deadly Descendant

Deadly Descendant by Jenna Black

May 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, mythology
Read in May, 2012

I loved Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series, but this series is even more enjoyable. Demons are interesting, but I find the old gods far more fascinating. Which is why I cannot resist authors like P.C. Cast, Rick Riordan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kevin Hearne and Jenna Black, who give the old gods from mythology a role in their books whether in person or as the god or goddess from whom leading and/or secondary characters are descended. Black's descendants have unique powers that are wanted by both the Olympians and the Descendants. In the case of the Descendants, all descendants are accepted as long as their leader, Anderson, thinks they could be useful. Whereas the Olympians is a group exclusively meants for the descendants of Greek gods. They do not accept any refusals and are utterly ruthless in their hunt for and murder of families of descendants of non-Greek gods. Down to the very last man, woman and child...

In Deadly Descendant the Olympians and the Descendants agree to an uneasy truce in their attempt to hunt down a rogue descendant who is killing innocents. As a descendant of Artemis, it falls to Nikki to lead this hunt, but too new to her powers to have mastered them yet, she mainly relies on the ordinary methods she used in her work as a private investigator. For Nikki it's a relief to have something to occupy herself with, anything to avoid Anderson's wife Emma, who seems to have taken an unreasonable and intense dislike to her. Still processing the fact that she is now immortal and all the events in Dark Descendant, she is unsure what course of action to take regarding her family and the new family she is now a part of.

Nikki may be young, but she has already been through more than most people go through in an entire lifetime. This makes her both strong and vulnerable. There is one amongst the Descendants who understands her, because his life has not exactly been perfect either. Seeing the prickly dance between Jamaal and Nikki was quite entertaining. They really are two of a kind! Anderson is a little harder to understand, but like Nikki says you cannot expect someone like him to behave like a human. One cannot deny that he is one of the most intriguing characters in this series. Another character I liked getting to know a little better, was Jack. All descendants of Loki are bound to be complicated and Jack is no exception. However, his unpredictability makes him all the more interesting in my eyes.

As is always the case with Jenna Black I found myself instantly submerged into the wonderful world she created. Dramatic, action-packed, magical and entertaining, Deadly Descendants enthralled me from start to finish. I was sad to turn the last page and hope that the third book in the Nikki Glass novel is already being written.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Descendant.