Katherine's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Recommended to Katherine by: Read Nineteen Minutes, wanted more Picoult
Recommended for: Picoult Fans, Light Read, Books that Stir
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

The premise of this book is absolutely compelling. I have to admit that I didn't understand the full scope of the premise until I had started reading. A story told in multiple perspectives, the perspectives were down very well for each character. However, the "inner voice" of each of the characters ... some were less defined than others. One thing is for certain: every single character had the same sense of humor, and that's a bit of a peeve for me. I also found some of the wording confusing or sloppy. Still, upon re-reading the sentences that confused my mind, I couldn't find anything technically wrong with them - they just didn't flow as naturally as the rest of the text. There were times when it was very difficult to believe that these people existed.

So why did I give it four stars rather than a lower rating? Because, as is her trademark, this served a greater purpose of the novel. As the reader, we were supposed to think that there was something wrong with the characters, we were supposed to feel as though something was a little off. And whether you do or not, unless you've heard the ending somewhere else, the ending shouldn't disappoint.

I had been complaining about the book to my husband during the time that I read it that it just wasn't as good as Nineteen Minutes, but that the premise was good. When I finally got to those last few pages, my husband was in the room doing something boring and when I started crying he was in shock seriously. So I can't say that the book didn't move me or shake me up at all.

I have great respect for a writer who can totally convince me that things are or might be going one way and then startle me with a truth so clear and precise that I can't help but nod because that's more the way life really is.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.