Renee's Reviews > Baroness

Baroness by Susan May Warren

May 02, 12

bookshelves: historical, christian-fiction

If you love sagas that feature multi-generations of plucky, conflicted heroines and provide sweeping portraits of bygone eras, Susan May Warren's Daughters of Fortune series will give you that same feeling. For me, these books brought to mind Showboat, Giant, Forsyte Saga, Zoya, A Woman of Substance, even Downton Abbey, and all the richly-costumed, lose-yourself-in-the-story dramas from the golden age of TV mini-series.

The story begins in Heiress and continues with the next generation in Baroness. Set in the Roaring 20s, Baroness focuses on Rosie and Lilly, a pair of high society cousins whose family fortunes provide lives of ease. But the two girls want more. They set out searching for what makes life meaningful and end up in all the wrong places. We follows the girls' adventures and misadventures from Paris to New York City to Chicago and the wilds of Montana as they pursue exotic careers.

Lilly becomes a wing walker on an airplane, and Rosie chases the dream of being a star on the silver screen. They rub shoulders with adventurers, baseball stars, pilots, and mobsters. Meanwhile, their families wait in the wings and hope for them to come to their senses. But the girls, for the most part, make disastrous decisions--until finally God gets through to one of them and we enjoy a half happy/half cliffhanger ending. Now I can't wait for book three!

Baroness is an eventful page-turner that will satisfy your dramatic cravings for quite some time! Thanks to Litfuse for sending me a copy to review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baroness.