Jahan's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

U 50x66
May 02, 12

I read this book in college and was actually a very easy read and is another one of those books that is very hard to put down. I wish I would have read it in high school. The main character Arnold Spirit is a young lad born on a reservation to a poor family. The entire reservation actually is not that well off. Arnold is born with physical problems and has water on his brain. He is very ambitious and has goals of going far in life. In the beginning he is picked on and bullied by the other students at the school on his reservation. But he does something that no one else dares does; make a choice of bettering his life and education to achieve his dream. That is what makes the book so powerful. If someone reads about a kid who looks like he does and has water on his brain why can’t I? Because I am afraid of people talking bad about me. Arnold takes the risk and loses his only friend, his best friend Rowdy. His friend after that hates him but still secretly at the same time like him. This book is amazing in that it shows how a poor kid goes against all the odds and becomes a popular kid at the new school he ends up going to. I would recommend this to high school and above, but especially high school because this book appeals to them the most. This book can show kids to be able to taking risks and not caring what other people say about you because it your life and you live it as you please in order to fulfill your dream. It will help them find their “place” because in high school that is what everyone is doing, finding where they belong.
1 like · Likeflag