Charlie's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic
Read in May, 2012

What the hell..
This book just mindfucked me in unimaginable ways. It left me an surely other readers the deathly anticipation of reading the final book.

Dashner did a great job with this book, probably better than the first one. He actually— scared me. And made me feel loss and anger, maybe close if not the same as what the characters felt. If I failed to connect to Thomas at the first book, this one definitely made up to that. The characterisation of the new characters (Brenda, Jorge and Aris) lacked a bit though. I hoped Dashner let us know them by their reactions to what happened to them and by letting us feel their emotions too.

The Cranks scared the shit of of me. They scared me more than what the Grievers did. It's worse because something in you tells you that killing them is still horrible; that they're still humans, despite the behaviour caused by the Flare.

One of the bugger that made me felt what Thomas felt was during his interactions with Teresa. I was actually proud when he refused Brenda whilst they were dancing, saying no because she wasn't Teresa. I felt betrayed as much as Thomas did with what Teresa did to him but a part of me pleads for him to listen and understand her, but yes, of course not forgiving her right away.

This book met my expectations from the first book. I'm glad the suspense was still there and it wasn't rushed. What bothered me is the part where Thomas always pass out or the chapter where it always ended with him falling asleep. Maybe it's just me but I was seriously bothered with that.

And in any way, I still can't imagine how "WICKED is good."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.