D.w.'s Reviews > Theft of Swords

1937017
May 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

This began to be recommended on one of those cross computer recommendations and so after reading the reviews of others, and then Sullivan's blog, I decided to delve into the series.

Certainly Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser came to mind as soon as I had read the description and then the beginning of the story. That there was more to the world was obvious and that it was its own world was evident as well.

Here the banter between are two protagonists is enough to keep drawing us is and then the quest begins. Now parts of the quest begin to distort the world, such as the location our questors must find, and certain other issues, but getting there is fun, and then whom they meet and the plot twists that things take also works well enough.

The depth of the plots that are being laid down by the villains and the simple solutions the heroes are jumping to in order to counter them help with the depth that the series takes, but in the first book it leaves you wondering, but it does draw you along.

All in all, a good read and one that I might well do again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theft of Swords.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Hey D.W. thanks...not just for reading my books and reviwing...but for reading my blog as well. Sometimes I don't know whether I'm just talking to air out there so always good to know that someone has looked at it.

FaGM is brought up often in regards to my stories. Any similarites is purely coincididental...I've not read those books and am avoiding them as to not influence my writing. While the series is done....I'm willing to write more Royce and Hadrian if people want so the day I do read FaGm will probably signal the end of any chance for more stories with those two.

D.w. I think you are different enough that it will not matter. The camaraderie between Royce and Hadrian is where things are similar, but then we have had many other writers do the two men buddy thieves since FaGM.

I really enjoyed your story and it actually helped appreciate reading on an iPad. From my reviews of the other books, you will see that I did enjoy the whole trilogy though I had a few issues.

I also have gone the route of publishing and have tried to become more critical in my reviews, believing that it helps me look for such in my writing as well.

For your additonal writing, Royce and Hadrian stories might be well, or perhaps events of uniqueness that take place in the 1000 years. Or even before that. (A prequel series?)