Deena's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

May 10, 12

bookshelves: bosler, fantasy
Read from May 03 to 09, 2012

I'd like to give this 2.5 stars, but it was such a come-down from the first that I'm rounding down instead of up.

This is an epic fantasy coming of age story. I don't particularly care for coming of age stories. This was much too long, unlike the first one. Right now, having just finished this, I'm not even sure if I'll bother with the third.

ETA: one of the things I like best about these books is that it seems clear that Mr. Rothfuss knows his universe, and knows where his story line in going (at least for large things). This provides a continuity that I really appreciate and that can be sadly lacking in other genre series stories. That's not to say that there may not be a few small continuity errors; there probably are. But I don't have my copy of the first title handy, so I can't check!

Which leads me to my other point - which has more to do with me as a reader and with my present situation than it does this book. Having nearly all your books packed away, while at the same time weaning yourself from collecting literally every single title you read, is a real nuisance. This book reminded me of Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. That's not to say that I think Ms. Chima or Mr. Rothfuss are plagiarizing - I'm quite sure they're not (at least not from each other!). But I don't own Ms. Chima's books and I cannot access Mr. Rothfuss's first book, so the similarities keep getting muddled in my head and it's really annoying.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

05/03/2012 page 31
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael I just started reading the first book yesterday based on a recommendation over at Sake, but I've heard this second one suffers from middle book syndrome. It's still good, but it doesn't quite stand on its own because it's clear it's still leading to something else.

Deena Michael wrote: It's still good, but it doesn't quite stand on its own because it's clear it's still leading to something else."

I think that's spot on.