Tenya Ingalls's Reviews > The Fall of Billy Hitchings

The Fall of Billy Hitchings by Kirkus MacGowan

May 02, 12

Read from May 02 to 07, 2012

MacGowan pulled the carpet right out from under me when I was expecting the climax of the story -- what a surprise!

I've said before that I'm a total plot junkie. I'll overlook errors, sometimes even slightly poor writing if a story captures my attention. But, it was not necessary to overlook poor formatting or less than adequate writing skill when reading this book. The story really pulls the reader in immediately. I did have to get used to the switching points of views from chapter to chapter, but each one is titled by the character's name so that it is not at all confusing. I appreciated the short chapters because I'm always busy and tend to pick up what I'm reading and eyeball a few snippets at a time.

In the story's beginning, the short chapters with differing viewpoints tactic actually helps draw out the suspense of how the plot will unfold. Toward the end of the book, it draws out the suspense, revealing only a little at a time from each point of view, until the "AHA" moment hits.

The true climax of the story is not where one expects, even though several chapters build toward it. It left me with a wonderfully sick feeling in my stomach so that I couldn't put the book down before reading all the way to the end. (So much for reading in snippets!)

This read was a true thrill, simply written and easy to read. They style is simplistic, but NOT overly so. It flows nicely and the main characters' personalities are clear to the reader.

If you like contemporary suspense thrillers and archaeology, you'll like this book.
I enjoyed the read very much and would probably pick up another book written by Kirkus MacGowan.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Billy Hitchings.

05/02/2012
13.0% "Immediately pulls you in!"
05/03/2012
13.0% "29%"
05/06/2012
58.0% "The story just became VERY exciting!"
show 2 hidden updates…