Eve's Reviews > Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food

Angelina's Bachelors by Brian O'Reilly

May 02, 2012

Read in April, 2012

I live to eat. So when I came across Angelina's Bachelors at a food-themed display table at my local library, I could not resist picking it up. I was captivated from the first scene in which Angelina is furiously baking her "Frangelico Chocolate 'Dream' Cake" to teach her husband the difference between homemade and store-bought after he complimented another woman's fake homemade cake. I had to laugh because I felt instantly connected with Angelina. And once I saw that there were recipes (one of which I later tried and turned out fantastic) interspersed within the novel, I couldn't wait to read it.

While the recipes are fresh and inventive, the story reads like a Lifetime movie: a grief-stricken widow enchants a community of bachelors with her cooking and maybe finds love. HOWEVER, it was exactly what I hungered to read and satisfied me very much. Heartwarming, sweet, and old-fashioned.

The real star of Angelina's Bachelors is the mouthwatering, spectacular food passages. If you're not hungry before reading Angelina's Bachelors, you soon will be once you start.

"Basil closed his eyes. 'Lasagna. I never realized what a beautiful word it was until now. Laa-sahn-yah. Just saying the word, I swear I can taste it again. I've been eating your lasagna for three days. Three rapturous days. Each bite gets my senses going all over again, and the more I eat, the better it gets. Angelina, eating that lasagna you made was one of the most moving experiences of my life.'"

Angelina's Bachelors is an uplifting, pleasant feast of a novel that revels in food's power to heal grief and bring strangers together.

And it has a quote which I just adore: "'The power of food is only second to sex.'" (Well, I think perhaps equal to or maybe even greater.....)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelina's Bachelors.

Quotes Eve Liked

“The power of food is only second to sex.”
Brian O'Reilly, Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food

Diana I loved this story. I found myself laughing and reading well after midnight. I'm recommending this book whole heartedly. it'll remind you of some italian grandmothers you know and love. Enjoy this fabulous story as I did.