Leah K's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

liked it
Read from May 02 to 05, 2012

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

★ ★ ★ ½

This is the memoir of Rob Lowe's life so far (he is currently 48 years old with over 30 years of acting under his belt).

I really enjoyed the beginning part of this book. The story of his childhood and his family dynamics. He was your average teenager except with cooler friends (he went to school with actors such as Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, Chris and Sean Penn, and Downey Jr – just to name a few). I really like the end of this book with his adult realizations and his changes. It was the middle part that made me give this book only a 3 star rating. He talks about the movies he did (which he should) but that's about it. I felt like the middle was a big “look – I made movies and let me name drop a lot so you are aware of all the people I know!”). It was nice at first but after reading about such things for over 100 pages, I got it – you were popular and you know a lot of people Mr. Lowe. From my research, I know he was far from innocent during his 80s popularity in the “Brat Pack” but he seems to nonchalantly skim over much of that period (although some aspects are brought up briefly).

I can't deny though that it was quick read and I devoured it. A fun memoir and it was well written in many aspects but definitely not an all time favorite for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

05/03/2012 page 73