Claire Caterer's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Jul 21, 14

bookshelves: books-of-2012, favorites, britain
Read from May 02 to 05, 2012

I find it interesting that so many people didn't connect with the characters in this book. I felt intensely connected to them. Someone on Amazon even said, "It was awful! How does this stuff get published?" Again, I can't think where such a comment comes from.

THE POSTMISTRESS doesn't hand you everything on a platter, but the characters are real, three-dimensional people living difficult lives. One thing I loved is that the novel illustrates the path of three women doing unusual things for the time period: running the town post office; reporting the war news from overseas; and facing a life alone, though married. (This last wasn't unusual, actually, but still courageous, since these women on the home front got married with the idea that their husbands would be there to take care of them--and then they weren't.)

How these women grow and change through 1940-41, as the nation edges towards war, is the heart of the story. It's beautifully, compellingly written. It's an amazing book, one to get lost in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.

05/03/2012 page 150
45.0% "I am zooming through this! A very compelling read."