Sandra 's Reviews > The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson

The Jefferson Lies by David Barton

8209529
May 15, 12

bookshelves: history
Read from May 01 to 06, 2012

Started The Jefferson Lies by David Barton. So far, it is a page turner (despite the numerous footnotes that can distract at times).
History is never written by its actors, and when it comes to "accuracy", it is only as good as the research, analysis and referencing done by the author. David Barton is a strong historian. Even if some claim that he has a religious agenda, I find interesting to review historical periods or people using someone else's looking glass: up to me to decide if I believe in or agree with the author's presentation.
Facts may remain, but interpretation and filling of gaps between facts is again left to the author and no one will really know for sure what the so called "Truth" might have been.
I find...fascinating(!) that some critics are so closed minded that any deviance from the established believes cannot be challenged and discussed.
So far, this book is very engaging and makes me want to learn more about this period of American history. If you want a book to challenge your knowledge or belief, this is one I recommend (so far!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jefferson Lies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 2: by CV (new) - rated it 1 star

CV Rick No, he didn't. He wrote a reply on a very biased website in the safety of his home, insulated from criticism. If he wanted to face his accusers, I'm sure they would be happy to provide a forum.