Danika Dinsmore's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Jan 24, 13

Read from November 08 to December 09, 2012

I'm so behind on my book reviews on GoodReads that I'm going to keep this short. I don't like just putting STARS on a page, they've lost their meaning to me, so I want to say a few words at least about each book I read.

This book is epic. Ambitious. If nothing else I appreciate the scope of it. When I was done with it I felt as if I had personally been on an expedition to the future and back again. I felt cosmically insignificant.

I almost sent it back to the library after the first chapter, which drags a bit. I couldn't tell where it was going. But I'm very glad I stuck with it. By the time I got to the 3rd chapter, I couldn't put it down. Some books are there for the challenge.

I loved the movie as well. I was clasping at my heart as we exited the theatre. I thought it complemented the book. Yes, it takes liberties, as film must, being a separate entity, but none of that bothered me (well, okay, the ending with Zachry/Tom Hanks and his new home away from home - that's all I'm going to say so I don't spoil it)

I just realized this is a vague review, but it's a tough book to review because there are so many storylines and there's so much to say about each one. I'll just leave it at I'm very glad I got to live in Mitchell's worlds for a while.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.

Angelica Taggart Good thing to read the book before seeing the film! saw it last night, and I just don't know how anyone could keep up with the story lines without the background of the book.

Danika Dinsmore We'll see. Ken wants to just see the movie and not bother with the book. I finished it about 10 days ago and loved it.

message 3: by David (new)

David when u finish this AND see the film (if u do); TELL *ME* what u think(!)

Danika Dinsmore I did see the film. I loved it. I liked how they altered the structure of the story, moving back and forth in time throughout. Visually it was stunning as well.

David wrote: "when u finish this AND see the film (if u do); TELL *ME* what u think(!)"

message 5: by David (new)

David ah! -much mor than i asked for; so THANX! -PROLLY won't read it, but (MIGHT) see the film someday(!)..