Susan's Reviews > Dork Whore: My Travels Through Asia as a Twenty-Year-Old Pseudo-Virgin

Dork Whore by Iris Bahr

Sep 07, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: nonfiction-adult

So unpleasant it's hard to know where to begin...you have to think that she was trying to channel Chelsea Handler (a la My Horizontal Life a bit here, but she doesn't quite pull it off. This might be partly because her voice lacks the almost enthusiastically unapologetic note of Handler's. You can't shake the undercurrent of discomfort and since there's a total lack of even short-lived fun to be had, there's no vicarious thrill for the reader. This book is actually (surprisingly?) short on the sex and long on torturous descriptions about the state of the author's bowel movements (and troubles) at various stages of her journey. Sarah Silverman-esque but without the funny. Clearly there is a story to be told, somewhere under this trip from hell. The woman has some extensive acting credentials, a successful one-woman show and a stint with the Israeli Army under her belt. Unfortunately, the story we'd like is not the story that's told here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dork Whore.