Clint's Reviews > Hawaii

Hawaii by James A. Michener

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in April, 2012

This is a writer I consciously avoided for years and years, and I can't really give a reason why other than I just got pissed off that all his books were place names, and I hate the Cult of the Place Name. But my situation is different these days, and I take what I can get when I can, and this book was about a dollar fifty something in American money, and for the money/length-of-time-it-takes-me-to-read ratio, it was a steal. And I was pleasantly surprised by how readable and all-round kickass it was. It had everything I had hoped for; missionaries getting their asses kicked, whores, violence, leprosy, human sacrifice, etc, etc. His characters, for the first 800 pages at least, were incredibly believable, almost no one was a stock character, the biggest assholes had some redeeming qualities, and the coolest, most open-minded dudes still had some cringe-worthy opinions your grandparents probably had. The first Whipple was a stock character, but I liked him, so that was okay. Overall, one of the biggest literary surprises I've had of late, and I just may read other books by him, 1000-page door-stoppers don't scare me. But I think I'll skip the Texas book, I deal enough with that kind of crap already.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawaii.