◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > Seraphina

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: covers-to-die-for, dnf

I tried.
I tried really hard.
But I just couldn't finish it.

Seraphina had a great premise. Fantasy. Dragons. Mystery. Hint of romance. And it did have all that. You know what else it had? A really, really, slow pace. So slow that I almost fell asleep around 5 times. From the reviews, I expected this. So even though I was a bit bored at first, I stuck through it. I told myself that it'll pick up soon. And I was doing good. I knew what was going on and remembered the details.

But when I got right to the middle of the book, something went wrong.

I had no clue what was going on. I may have skipped a couple lines here and there but I thought I was with the story. Apparently I wasn't. And that's when I gave up. I may have stopped at a bad time though because at that point in the book it seemed as if things would get more exciting, but I was totally lost so it wouldn't have mattered. The story might have gotten better later on, but I'm the type of person who gets tired with a book if it doesn't keep my interest. I was already trying to read this book as quickly as I could because I have all these libraries books due soon. But I don't want to waste time trying to finish a book that I have no interest in anymore.

But please don't be put off from this book because of me. Seeing as how the majority of the readers loved this book, I'm guessing that most of the people reading this review will at least like it as well. The problem lies with me. I have this weird relationship with high fantasy. I want to love the genre, but I just...don't. This year my goal was to get into high fantasy, but so far I've been burned more times than wowed.

This book has a great story and a fantastic world building that many high fantasy lovers will enjoy. But if you're anything like me, who prefers books with a faster pace, than you may not like it as much. You'll never know unless you give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seraphina.

08/01/2012 "Oh, hey there Seraphina. I wasn't going to start reading you until tomorrow afternoon, but I couldn't help it. You just kept making those eyes at me. The beautiful cover, the enticing synopsis...you know all my weaknesses, don't you? I hope we end up becoming really, really good friends."
08/02/2012 page 118
25.0% "Kind of a slow start, but nonetheless, I'm liking it."
08/03/2012 page 200
43.0% "I said before that although thus book was slow, I liked it. I may have to change my mind. It's not just slow, it's painstakingly slow. I want to finish it, but it's so damn hard!"

Hermione :O
You didn't like it? Wow. That's probably the first review out of my friends/people I'm following that's given this book a negative one. Waiting for it!

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I'm surprised myself. And I did like it...but the pace just killed it for me.

Hermione Hmm. I almost died while reading The Iron King. Maybe you'll give it another try?

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I'm going to try and stay away from high fantasy for now (though I recently bought Shadow and Bone and have one other book from the library). I might try re-reading Seraphina one day, but not anytime soon.

message 5: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Aug 03, 2012 03:38PM) (new) - added it

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Sam wrote: "This sounds like my first (failed) attempt. I'm planning to give it another go soon, but we'll see if I get anywhere... :)"

Huh, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I might give it another try as well...one day.

Stargirl1234 wrote: "I've wanted to read this...but now I don't know"

If you like high fantasy books such as Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study series, than you'll probably like this book. As long as you're interested, I say give it a try.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ah, that worried me a bit as well. But I never read Eragon.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Really? Huh. I wasn't planning on reading it anyways, I'm not a high fantasy fan as you can tell. I'm hoping Shadow and Bone will be different though. Have you read it?

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Same here.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I know what you mean! I actually already bought the book, so I'm really hoping it's as good as others say. Otherwise, I might have to go through the trouble of returning it >.<.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yeah, I've never returned a book because I always feel bad...even though I don't have much money to buy books anyways. Meh. I try not to get sucked into book hypes. I fail most of the times.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I hear ya. There are only a few hypes where the book was actually better than what others said. Like, say, Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Oh really? How come? Actually, I've seen a lot of negative reviews for it recently, compared to back when it was released and all I saw were 4-5 star reviews.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ah, well, that's fine. Guess it wasn't your type.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I have tons, but you should check out my "books-i-fell-hard-for" shelf. Those books are the ones I recommend the most to others.

Natalie Monroe Fantasy books mostly build up slow in the beginning, probably because the writer doesn't want to whack the reader over the head with information about its world. I recommend A Game of Thrones, it starts off slow(believe me, I know) but by the time you're a quarter of a way through, you're gobbling it up. It's that good.

message 16: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Dec 04, 2012 07:04AM) (new) - added it

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Hmm, that makes sense. But I'm a bit scared to read A Game of Thrones. I've been hearing about it everywhere, but it doesn't seem to be my type of book (I rarely read adult books). Ah well, maybe I'll read it one day in the future.