Isis's Reviews > Frontier Wolf

Frontier Wolf by Rosemary Sutcliff

May 08, 12

bookshelves: ebook, historical-fiction
Read from May 02 to 06, 2012

This is a better and more sophisticated book (in terms of character and conflict) than The Eagle Of The Ninth - unsurprisingly so, since Sutcliff wrote it much later, and I think it is testament to the development of her skill. For me it was a strongly emotional gut-punch of a read. Alexios is defined by the choices he makes, and some of those choices are ones he is essentially forced into by circumstances, where all possibilities are awful.

Without getting spoilery, I will say that this (along with The Mark of the Horse Lord, which I read directly afterwards) reminded me a bit of The Hunger Games; or rather that they made the latter book look like so much fluffy garbage. Sutcliff's characters face real and very serious choices they cannot cheat their way out of. This is why I loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frontier Wolf.

05/03/2012
35.0% "Her prose makes me despair of my own writing." 1 comment
05/04/2012
50.0% "Uh-oh. Things are about to explode."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Writerlibrarian This and Mark of the Horse Lord I have in ebooks. I might jump ahead and read Mark of the Horse since it's not in her Arthurian/Eagle universe

Isis Writerlibrarian wrote: "This and Mark of the Horse Lord I have in ebooks. I might jump ahead and read Mark of the Horse since it's not in her Arthurian/Eagle universe"

I don't think the order of the Dolphin Ring books matters very much. Mark of the Horse Lord is timewise set right around Eagle but far to the north. The Dalriadain don't seem even related to the tribe Marcus and Esca visited, although they are basically in the same area; they are very different books. Frontier Wolf is actually pre-Lantern Bearers.

I do warn you not to do as I did and read these two books close on each other's heels, as they are both so emotionally wrenching, aiee.