Davina's Reviews > The Darkest Heart

it was ok
bookshelves: western, historical-romance, romance
Read in May, 2012

***Mild Spoilers***

This is 1.5 stars for me, in actuality.

I wasn't a big fan of this book. My problem is that I hated hated HATED Candice. She wasn't much of a protagonist, making so many too stupid to live decisions on top of being selfish and immature. I know the hero said at the end of the book that she'd grown but it wasn't in any way that I saw. I kept reading this book thinking Jack deserved better than her.

Most of my smiles came at the end with the birth of Shozkay since "Fires of Paradise" is one of my favorite historical romance books ever and tells his story wonderfully with a feisty heroine who a reader can see mature as the story progresses. But Candice? She made my palm itch wanting to reach through my kindle to smack her.

I wasn't a fan of Datiye... though I saw more growth from her than Candice by the end of the book... but I hated how Jack (due to Candice) and Candice treated her while she was pregnant with Shozkay. That was not ok. I like my protagonists to be more mature emotionally and considerate in spirit. I didn't find Candice interesting nor generous. Her two traits seemed to be that she was beautiful and that she was stubborn. I saw nothing beyond that ever with her character.

In the end, I was disappointed. I wanted more from the story of how Shozkay's parents fell in love. Now I wish I'd never read it because it just left such a sour taste in my mouth.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Heart.